RESTLog is the name of the application that runs this site. RESTLog is a weblog application that tries to follow the REST architectural style. The RESTLog application has a client and a server side. The client side is a .NET application written in C#, while the server side application is written in Python. Note that the this application isn't tied to either of these programming environments. Either side could be replaced with a component written in another language and the system would work just fine. That's because the application is completely defined by its interface and that interface in turn is completely described by HTTP transactions, the defined set of URLs, and the format of the XML files that are transferred, but well see more of those details a little later.
If you are curious you can dive right into the specification for the RESTLog Interface. The remainder of this document gives an overview of how I chose to implement that specification. This is just one possible implementation. You could build a system that conformed to the RESTLog API and instead of using flat files like I did you could store all the information in an SQL database. Or this interface could be added to current weblog applications such as MovableType, Bloxsom, Radio, etc.
What is REST
How does the server side work?
Items are stored in individual files with their name being their ID number. They are stored as xml files. Specifically they are stored as 'item' elements from RSS 2.0. For example:
<item xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/"> <title>My Summer Vacation</title> <description>On my summer vacation I went to...</description> <link>http://127.0.0.1/cgi-bin/RESTLog.py/4</link> <dc:date>2002-10-28T22:18:53-05:00</dc:date> </item>
Why? Well first note that this file is conveniently formatted so that it can be easily placed inside an RSS file directly as an item which will speed up the rebuilding of the index.rss file each time an item is modified. Also having each item in its own file makes the system more robust, if one of the files becomes corrupt I have lost as most one item not all of them. I ran into this problem when working on Pamphlet, my as yet unpublished weblogging tool. The items in Pamphlet are kept in monthly archives which has the weakness of potentially losing a whole months worth of posts if a single file gets corrupted. Luckily I keep good backups.
The HTML main page 'index.html' and the RSS file 'index.rss' are served up statically. That is, they are static files that are only updated by the server side script when items are added or changed. Each item has it's own permalink and that permalink is served up dynamically through the RESTLog.cgi script, but this only uses a crude string substitution templating mechanism.
Tomorrow I'll cover the HTTP interface to RESTLog.